On 01:35 Wed 24 Oct     , Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm not a ruby developer just yet, but I've been reading a couple of
> in-depth references and I already like it... a lot.
>
> Today I got, once again as usual, annoyed by having to get into cygwin
> *just* to run build-related bash scripts from within windows. But I must
> be developing some ruby cells in my blood already since I thought: that's
> it... I'm rewritting them in ruby!
>
> So, is there any guideline on how to port bash scripts to ruby?
>
> TIA
>

> --
> Fernando Cacciola
> SciSoft
> http://fcacciola.50webs.com

Having done this a time or two (with my own scripts, nothing major),
what you need to do is map out what the script does/write out a spec so
that you know what needs to be done in what way, then you need to start
scripting. I'd keep the same basic structure to it for the first
revision, then go back later to refactor it.

The only problem will be with some *nix commands that you may have a
problem replacing (sed and grep are two examples, but if you can replace
sed, you've replaced grep pretty much).

An idea on what all it requires might help if you want some help.