On 10/26/07, Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel / vernix.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 06:49:03AM +0900, Tim Pease wrote:
> > On Oct 25, 2007, at 12:42 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> > >Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5, will very soon be available to everyone!
> > >
> > >Many of you have been wondering about the changes that will impact the
> > >Ruby environment. We preventively compiled a list of all changes, and
> > >you can now access it from here:
> > >
> > >http://ruby.macosforge.org
> > >http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/ruby/wiki/WhatsNewInLeopard
> >
> > The wiki page says that "The gem_server utility is not part of the
> > client distribution of Leopard. It is only provided in the server."
> > This seems a very horrible omission -- gem_server is used regularly
> > to view the RDoc documentation for installed gems.  Is there another
> > mechanism in Leopard to view RDoc for installed gems?  A nice Cocoa
> > app perhaps ;)
>
> As a side note, the latest RubyGems code moves the gem_server functionality
> into the gem command, accessed via gem server. So in the future providing
> this only on the server version of OS X wouldn't make sense as it will just
> be part of the gem command and likely, by that point, RubyGems will be
> bundled with Ruby itself..

gem_server wasn't packaged in the client because it was decided at the
beginning that serving gems over the network wasn't intended to be
done by desktop users, but more server users. If you feel disappointed
I recommend you to file a bug at http://bugreporter.apple.com, the
more bugs we receive the more it will look important to the
management.

We understand that many people are using gem_server to read RDocs, and
will be worried by this decision, that's why we put it in the article.
We however think that starting a web-server just to read RDocs is a
bit overkill, since you can point Safari to one of the sub-directories
of /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc.

The fact that gem_server's functionality is moving into the gem
command in the next gems release is a pretty good idea (like most of
the other changes also), and we are excited about that.

Laurent