Hi --

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, CodeToad wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I just finished my first 40+ hours with plain old Ruby (without rails
> for now), and I love this stuff!!  Everyone relates it to smalltalk,
> and that seems mostly true.

Welcome!

> Being a Certified Old Dude (and sometimes a quant-heavy economist), it
> does remind me of the pleasurable experience of learning serious
> programming tripping along with smalltalk on one end and various lisp
> incarnations on the other, circa xerox/parc days.  So...
>
> What are you doing with ruby?

Programming, authoring, training, consulting.... I would say that in
my own day-to-day, non-public stuff, text processing looms very large
in my Ruby use.

> What would you *like* to do with ruby?

I'm still mining it for what it's already able to let me do.

> Do you see ruby as a focal-point or general purpose language?

I'm not sure what you mean by focal point. I've certainly focused on
it :-) It's definitely best described as a general-purpose programming
language -- not all-purpose (the quant-heavy economist in you might
not use it for everything), but certainly not specialized on any one
problem domain.

David

   * Advancing With Rails, Edison, NJ, November 6-9
See http://www.rubypal.com for details!