Deven Ullman wrote:
> On Oct 16, 9:36 am, "Giles Bowkett" <gil... / gmail.com> wrote:
>> My first intro to map, et al., was
>> "Higher-Order Perl." (Basically a Perl translation of "SICP.")
>
> It really isn't very much like a Perl translation of SICP.
>
> SICP is the textbook for the MIT introduction to computer science
> class, and as such addresses a lot of important foundational issues at
> a fundamental level.
>
> HOP, on the other hand, is a manual of techniques for programming in
> Perl. It was never intended to address the important and significant
> basic issues that SICP addresses, or to provide a basic education in
> fundamental principles of programming or computer science, except as
> far as is necessary to support the specific techniques that it does
> discuss.
>
> The two books are directed at completely different audiences, and
> serve very different purposes.

I've not read HOP, but I've read SICP, and I'd wager there are few other
books that would do a better job of improving one's Ruby skills.

Ruby Reading List:

- Pick-axe
- Ruby for Rails
- SICP

And maybe start with SICP ...

--
James Britt

"Discover the recipes you are using and abandon them."
  - Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt, Oblique Strategies