On Oct 24, 2:34 am, "Robert Klemme" <shortcut... / googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2007/10/23, Daniel Berger <djber... / gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > Park Heesob and I came up with a custom implementation for
> > IO.readlines using scattered I/O I thought would be fun to share. I
> > think I'm seeing a 2x performance increase, but page caching is making
> > it difficult to tell. Also, it looks like the main profiling issue is
> > the call to 'split' at the end, so you can remove that last bit of
> > logic if you want to see the speed without it.
>
> > What do folks think? Are you seeing a performance increase? You
> > probably won't see any noticeable difference unless the file is
> > greater than 25mb or so, btw.
>
> Can't test it at the moment.  But I wonder how a scattered read can
> help with #readlines which reads a file sequentially.  AFAIK scattered
> reading is for reading different portions of the same file.

No, it's just a different technique for reading files. You pre-
allocate the line buffers up front and then it then reads the lines
into those buffers asynchronously. But the resulting array still ends
up "in order". At least, that's how it seems to work on MS Windows. :)

Regards,

Dan