On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:48:08 +0900, John Lam (DLR) wrote:

>> I think the biggest risk to IronRuby is the CLR, not the IronRuby
>> implementation itself. As noted, that's in a reasonably open license.
>
> I'm interested in why you think that the CLR is a risk? We've
> standardized CLR via the CLI and there is an open-source implementation
> of the CLR in Mono. DLR / IronRuby should just run on Mono in binary
> form.

Very cool to hear from someone at Microsoft.  My concern, on reading the
above, is that Mono apps work great when going from Microsoft to Linux,
but not all Mono apps work great when going from Linux to Microsoft.

In and of itself, that's a hassle.  However, the long term effect would
be detrimental for Ruby on Linux, which would be viewed as a backwater.

-Thufir