Larry Kelly wrote:
> What progress is being made to improve Ruby's speed on Windows
> platforms.  I'm finding much slower on Windows, especially Windows 2003
> Server.

Ok, I'm jumping too late on this thread.

The current build of ruby (the official one located at ruby-lang page)
is the same bundled into One-Click-Installer (OCI).

That version was built with VC6, which compared to VC8 perform worse:

http://pastie.caboo.se/95210

As the summary of the tests indicates, all were performed under the same
machine.

To make this simple: it's true, current distribution/build of ruby
perform worse than linux counterparts.

NOTE: this isn't a cientific test, but something average-joe could
deduce after continous use of Ruby.

This discusion was raised (by me) in the ruby-core mailing list too:
[ruby-core:12305]
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/12305

and the available paths, with pro and cons:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/126416#566835

I just can say 'we' are working hard to get a better build of Ruby for
Windows.

More details will come in the following weeks.

Regards,

Luis

PS: I just reply this message, since this already was a heated talk on
ruby-core and last year too. It seems it araise from time to time.