On 10/17/07, David A. Black <dblack / rubypal.com> wrote:

> I've actually never felt the need for abstract classes in Ruby
> programs. I'm not a Java programmer, so it never would have occurred
> to me in that context, and I haven't found myself inventing it for
> Ruby.

Note that ActiveRecord has a slightly different spin on the notion of
abstract class.

ActiveRecord::Base has a rw attribute called abstract_class and an
abstract_class? predicate method.

ActiveRecord::Base subclasses can be 'set' as abstract the meaning is
that such classes don't have a corresponding database table.  They are
used as intermediate superclasses, typically to let a set of AR
classes to inherit a common database connection different from other
AR classes in the same application.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby