On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:31:27PM +0900, Alex Young wrote:
> Randy Kramer wrote:
> >I've done some googling, some looking in the pickaxe(2) book (using the
> >index), and some experimenting in irb, but I can't readily see the
> >difference between puts and write (except that write doesn't work in all
> >cases in irb:)
> >
> >irb(main):044:0> write "\nmorF\n\n"
> >NoMethodError: undefined method `write' for main:Object
> >
> >So what is the difference (specifically for the case of writing to a file)
> >and/or when should I use one vs. the other?
> >
> On a File object (actually, they're defined on IO), write just writes
> the string given to the file unchanged.  IO#puts adds a newline at the
> end of the string if there isn't one already.

I guess the next question, then, is "What's the difference between print
and write for writing to a file?"

Trying to answer my own question with irb, I see that a successful write
has a return value equal to the number of characters it writes to the
file, while a successful print returns nil.  Is that the only difference
in a file writing context?

Isaac Asimov: "Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is
completely programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest."