Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Sorry Jeremy, I can't help myself: it's curricula.
>
> I'd say "Ruby By Example" is worth a look strictly for its chapters on
> functional programming. My first intro to map, et al., was
> "Higher-Order Perl." (Basically a Perl translation of "SICP.") This
> would have been much gentler. I'd even put it in the Java guy section
> for that reason.

I was given a pre-release version of Ruby By Example, and found that it
it gave misleading ideas about types and classes in Ruby.

For example, this was described as "casting":

s = 12.to_s

There were a few other things along those lines, and I was told that the
idea was to present concepts in terms that were familiar to a Perl or
Java developer.  The end result, though, was that said Perl or Java
developer would not actually understand Ruby, though they might learn
how to write Perl or Java using Ruby syntax.

Perhaps the final version of the book is different, but I would never
recommend the book I saw.

--
James Britt

"If you don't write it down, it never happened."
  - (Unknown)