Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 02:50:29AM +0900, Trans wrote:
>
>> Kind of fuzzy.
>>

> My understanding is that a gem distributed under the terms of the GPL
> then causes the program in which you use it via a `require` statement to
> be subject to the terms of the GPL as well.  This is, for an interpreted

Kind of fuzzy isn't the half of it!

*It's not that clear. * Ruby programs are typically not distributed as
compiled works, so each file is separate.  You don't distribute the
complete program, only the pieces that you wrote.  The gem comes from
elsewhere.  And the GPL doesn't limit execution of programs, only
distribution.  (Most of the commentary is written from the perspective
of C programmers, and doesn't necessarily apply to Ruby programs.)