On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 01:06:38AM +0900, Tim Hunter wrote:
> Trans wrote:
> >Rails uses the MIT license. The Ruby license is essentially the GPL
> >(it's a dual license).
> >
> >So what are the basic differences between the two and why would you
> >pick one over the other?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >T.
> >

> T.,
>
> I normally enjoy your posts, and I do hate to be negative, but it feels
> like ruby-talk has been plagued with a lot of
> 200-followup-barely-on-topic threads lately, and your post could easily
> be (given this strong opinions that people can form about FOSS
> licensing) the start of yet another.
>
> Would it be too much to ask for you to go off and read some of the
> commentary on these licenses that can be found on the web, form some
> conclusions, and then, if necessary (and I don't think it will be)
> follow up with "I've read this material and this is what I think and
> here are some RUBY-SPECIFIC questions I have or conclusions I've come to
> that I'd like to share?"
>
> You can start your research with the text of the licenses. MIT is here:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php. GPL here:
> http://www.gnu.org. I notice several books are available on Amazon,
> including _Understanding_Open_Source_and_Free_Software_Licensing_.
>
> To the list, I apologize. I try to keep my posts positive, contributory,
> and on-topic. I recognize that this one is simply cranky.

I understand the intent behind your commentary, and don't really see any
particular need to apologize.  For my part, at least, there's nothing to
forgive.

For T.:

If you want to discuss it with someone off-list, and think I may be
someone that can help, I'll be happy to discuss the matter with you.  I
have very specific opinions on the matter, but I'm also of the opinion
that everyone should be able to form his or her own opinions, so I'll try
to be as clear about the matter as possible complete with very distinct
separation between facts and opinions.

MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when
it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."