I just ran into a problem with Test::Unit exhibited by the two files
below and the output of 'ruby tc_child.rb':

--- tc_child.rb ---
require 'tc_parent'

class ChildTest < ParentTest
  def test_one
    puts 'test_one called'
    assert true
--- tc_child.rb ---

--- tc_parent.rb ---
require "test/unit"

class ParentTest < Test::Unit::TestCase
  def setup
    puts 'setup called'
  end

  def teardown
    puts 'teardown called'
--- tc_parent.rb ---

ruby tc_child.rb
Loaded suite tc_child
Started
setup called
test_one called
teardown called
.setup called
Fteardown called

Finished in 0.004709 seconds.

  1) Failure:
default_test(ParentTest) [tc_child.rb:4]:
No tests were specified.

---

So apparently it's inadvisable to insert a class between
Test::Unit::TestCase and a 'leaf node' test class. In my case, I ended
up moving the base functionality into a module that I mixed into
tc_child.rb, and this actually worked better for what I'm trying to
accomplish. The flexibility of modules is a great feature of Ruby.

Is there a way to instruct Test::Unit to not attempt to run tests in
intermediate classes in the hierarchy?

Brian Adkins