On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Pixel wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard <matju / sympatico.ca> writes:
> > If I want to classify OO languages, one way to do it is like this:
> > object-centric: Self, JavaScript, ...
> > class-centric: SmallTalk, C++, Java, ...
> > method-centric: CLOS, Dylan, ...
> in which category would you have ruby? between class and object centric,
> singleton being the object-centric part?

Exactly that.

> and what about python, OCaml?

I don't know OCaml, and Python has changed alot recently... Does Python
have singletons, or do you still have to use "ordinary functions" instead?

> do you have some docs which explain the differences between those
> categories?

no, I just made them up. Let me give it a try:

in object-centric, the objects come first, you put methods in them, and
then the classes are a way to share the methods;

in class-centric, the class comes first, you put methods in it, and then
you instantiate the class, to be able to use those methods;

in method-centric, the methods come first, and they just happen to be
parameter-specialized on elements of a type-hierarchy.

Mathieu Bouchard                   http://hostname.2y.net/~matju