Hi,

I'm creating a meta script that can generate both a shell script and a
Makefile. I want the script to be human readable, so I don't want to
substitute all the variables, so $(top_srcdir) =
"/my/obsenely/huge/directory/name" doesn't get substituted in for
example $(srcdir) = $(top_srcdir)/foo.

The problem is that bash doesn't use the same syntax for variable substitution.

I guess the easiest thing to do is just s/$()/${}/ but I was wondering
if there's a better way to do that.

Since I know Rubyists can always find better ways to write code I
decided to ask here.

Is there a better way to implement meta variable substitution?

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras