On 10/9/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
> John Joyce wrote:
> > You get paid for your skills.
>
> Not necessarily ... you get paid for delivering value, not for how you
> delivered it.

Some people think it's all about how it's delivered (which I happen to
be incredibly bad at).

> > If you're worried about job security, just
> > write code that works in a bad style (think really ugly style Perl)
>
> That's incredibly bad advice IMHO. The *last* thing you want to do is
> write code you can't instantly understand yourself after being in a coma
> for six months. :)

I agree, but then what about meta-programming?

> Ryan Davis has an excellent Ruby obfuscator for sale, which proves
> there's a market for something that will allow *you* to read your code
> and prevent *others* from reading it easily.

I'm pretty much convinced that code obfuscation is not a good option
for anyone.  But, it can -- and will continue to -- be done.  I will
look at various tools and maybe change my mind.  I think I still won't
understand the "real" economic reason behind such a thing.

Todd