On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 11:53:00AM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Eric H. wrote:
> >I understand and yet you also mention the problem with this: the number
> >of different platforms it is on and the vast differences that each
> >provide. The install for Fedora Core is different from OSX, or Windows,
> >and probably Debian and BSD, etc.
>
> Hmmm ... Gentoo Linux:
>
> # emerge rails
>
> Fedora/CentOS/RHEL:
>
> # yum install rails
>
> Debian/Ubuntu:
>
> # apt-get install rails
>
> In all cases, the command will install the dependencies, such as Ruby.
>
> Oh, yeah, you'll need a DBMS.
>
> # emerge mysql
> # yum install mysql
> # apt-get install mysql
>
> On Windows, there's Instant Rails, and on Macs there's Locomotive. That
> pretty much covers everything except Solaris and BSD. Does anyone want
> to round out my list with those two?

Uhh . . . on FreeBSD, either of:

  1. cd /usr/ports/www/rubygem-rails; make install clean
  2. portinstall rubygem-rails

Just pick one, depending on whether you use portinstall, and go with it.
Should work just fine.

MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when
it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."