John Joyce wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Ryan Davis wrote:
>> Eric and I wrote one (google for zenobfuscate)... It has been used in
>> an OSX (rubycocoa) production app. We decided to put a $2500 license
>> fee on it to filter the serious from the non-serious. Let me know if
>> you're serious.
>>

> Is that serious? At that price, it would be worth it to just write it in
> C/C++ maybe even Cobol.

The price isn't the really interesting point here - if lack of this kind
of obfuscation would be the show-stopper for an ISV, this price isn't
all that unaffordable (especially in the US I guess). But this has
alerady been pointed out.

My main concern would be, after reading the announcement page, that
based on the software's restrictions (which is printed with half the
font size near the bottom of the page), I guess there's virtually no
Ruby code which meets those requirements. If for no other reason, just
because it uses libraries which aren't designed with that in mind.

Explicit returns everywhere? No code blocks? If I have to pay $2500 just
for the opportunity to *rewrite* all my code in a really C-like manner,
just so that it can be translated into actual C, then I'd say it's
really not worth it. In that case, I could actually have written it in C
in the first place.

Please correct me if I'm overly wrong here.

mortee