On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:19:42 +0900, Daniel Berger wrote:

> That would only be true if vendors randomly and unexpectedly changed
> them. From what I can gather (from Wikipedia and general experience) as
> formats change vendors may extra add data to the end of the magic number
> (or create a new one), but always leave the 'base' magic number alone.
>
> Personally, I think you should stop worrying and learn to love the magic
> number. :)

No, not the magic(5) kind of magic number... :)  I don't think "%!PS-Adobe"
is changing either.  And if it's not changing, then its length will always
be 10.

I'm talking about what wikipedia calls an "unnamed numerical constant".  It
took me a few seconds to realize that "10" was the length of "%!PS-Adobe".
Is PS.length (or size, if you prefer) longer to type?  Yes.  Is it likely
to change?  No.  Is it more explanatory?  Yes.  Will it still work when you
copy and paste this code to search for a different magic phrase?  Yes.

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they