Jay Levitt wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:56:11 -0700, William James wrote:
>
>> That's a violation of common sense.  '%!PS-Adobe' isn't going
>> to change, and therefore 10 won't need changing.
>
> But magic numbers suck.

That would only be true if vendors randomly and unexpectedly changed
them. From what I can gather (from Wikipedia and general experience) as
formats change vendors may extra add data to the end of the magic number
(or create a new one), but always leave the 'base' magic number alone.

Personally, I think you should stop worrying and learn to love the magic
number. :)

Regards,

Dan