On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:53:00 +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Debian/Ubuntu:
>
> # apt-get install rails

I recently tried to help a summer intern install (or rather update) his
Ruby installation which he'd initially got from apt-get by doing just that.
Turned out to be a REALLY hairy mess; even rebuilding Ruby and rubygems
from source didn't work.  We finally had to go down into the build dirs and
build zlib by hand (and yes, we'd tried installing 20 packages all named
libz or zlib or derivatives thereof).

I also seem to recall that apt-get rails installs it outside of the gems
world, or something funky like that.

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they