M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Eric H. wrote:
>> I understand and yet you also mention the problem with this: the number
>> of different platforms it is on and the vast differences that each
>> provide. The install for Fedora Core is different from OSX, or Windows,
>> and probably Debian and BSD, etc.
>
> Hmmm ... Gentoo Linux:
>
> # emerge rails
>
> Fedora/CentOS/RHEL:
>
> # yum install rails
>
> Debian/Ubuntu:
>
> # apt-get install rails
>
> In all cases, the command will install the dependencies, such as Ruby.
>
> Oh, yeah, you'll need a DBMS.
>
> # emerge mysql
> # yum install mysql
> # apt-get install mysql
>
> On Windows, there's Instant Rails, and on Macs there's Locomotive. That
> pretty much covers everything except Solaris and BSD. Does anyone want
> to round out my list with those two?

It would be great if that's all there was to it. According to someone
else, one has to worry about the paths quite a lot and each platform
would need their translations supposedly, each also set on a half page
picture in the book. Though it's prudent to point out again that I
consider becoming familiar with the file and operating system a basic
skill of owning and using a computer in the first place, much less
actually programming on one.