On Oct 8, 2007, at 9:53 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Eric H. wrote:
>> I understand and yet you also mention the problem with this: the
>> number
>> of different platforms it is on and the vast differences that each
>> provide. The install for Fedora Core is different from OSX, or
>> Windows,
>> and probably Debian and BSD, etc.
>
> Hmmm ... Gentoo Linux:
>
> # emerge rails
>
> Fedora/CentOS/RHEL:
>
> # yum install rails
>
> Debian/Ubuntu:
>
> # apt-get install rails
>
> In all cases, the command will install the dependencies, such as Ruby.
>
> Oh, yeah, you'll need a DBMS.
>
> # emerge mysql
> # yum install mysql
> # apt-get install mysql
>
> On Windows, there's Instant Rails, and on Macs there's Locomotive.
> That pretty much covers everything except Solaris and BSD. Does
> anyone want to round out my list with those two?

let's see on the Mac alone, there is also a one-click installer,
there is MacPorts (formerly darwin ports) with opt get...

and it's still best to do a manual install if you want to be sure
which version you're getting.

the devil is in the details.
so that includes the (very commonly used for OS X 10.4) Hivelogic
installation tutorial.