On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 23:33:21 -0400, Eric H. wrote:

> Sadly, I'd rather buy your book if I needed it than to pay for the info
> to be included in the other books where I do not. ;)

Sure.  The problem is the use case of someone who's been wanted to play
with Rails all week.  Finally has a long weekend, stops by Barnes & Noble
or CompUSA to find the appropriate books.  They have a few, some are even
the latest version.  He grabs them, takes them home, and starts reading:

"First, enter the console app, where you'll be able to execute ruby
statements with real-time feedabck.  From console..."

and the reader goes "What?  What conosle? What directory is it in?"

Than then parses out to one of two problems:

- OSX user with a built-in Ruby 1.8.2 install and library, and potentially
old versions of the gem updater that need manual intervention to start
pulling down 0.i gem;

- Ditto, but they've installed Locmotive at some point, which stores Ruby
and libs in yet another directory hierachy;

- Windows user now, using the OCI, puts his lib under his C:RUBY hierarchy

- Another one tries to put it under My Documents

- And the last one tries to get clever and start switching to cygwin so
they can use bash.

Yeah, there's a book in there.

Jay

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they