John Joyce wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Jason Matthew wrote:
>
>> Hi There,
>>
>> I have been using rails for the last 6 months and loving every
>> minute of
>> it. I decided it would be smart to dive into learning the in's and
>> out's
>> of Ruby. I bought Beginning Ruby, Programming Ruby, and the Ruby
>> Cookbook.
>>
>> I am through chapter  6 of Beginning Ruby and I havent seen any
>> mention
>> of GUI.
>>
>> I primarily work on os x, is RubyCocoa the main way of doing GUI in
>> ruby
>> on OS X?
>>
>> Any tips or advice on where I can read more about GUI with Ruby on
>> OS X
>> would be great.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Jason
>> --
>>
> RubyCocoa is one way, and it's the best way to achieve truly native
> GUI with OS X, but it does require some Cocoa understanding, mostly
> the Hillegass book. This is poised to change at the end of this month
> with the new Objective-C 2 and a new XCode as well.
> But, you can do GUI stuff with RubyTk, WxRuby or Qt libraries for
> Ruby as well.
> It's a little less learning curve than Cocoa, but a whole different
> approach and you can use that stuff for cross-platform work.

The principle of reading a book on using Ruby is to learn ruby. GUI
Programming is done using libraries, for example C, C++, and Perl do not have
any thing built in for GUI programming. Yet they are some of the most used
languages, even for GUI applications. You are not required to create a GUI.

So you need a GUI Library or 'toolkit' that suits your needs, this often boils
done to Windows / Mac native (some one piss on the Win32 C API please), GTK,
QT, or TK. -- Programs written in GTK/QT/TK/Toolkit foo won't look the same as
if you used what your OS provides. But you won't have to write the GUI code
for each OS.

QTRuby is my favorite, largely because I love the C++ Documentation that comes
with QT, it's great. And I find QT well enough suited to GUI applications
since it's easy enough to write by hand. Even though QT Designer allows one to
use a GUI Builder and  code generation for the graphical parts make it fast +
easy.

Java is a bit different in how it has it's own GUI toolkit(s) but Java is also
different in how it runs. Although I'm sure that has changed a lot since the
Java Sourcebook came out... hehe.

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com