On Oct 7, 2007, at 16:37 , 7stud -- wrote:
> Rick Denatale wrote:
>> $sudo gem install rake
>>
>> I assume that you do have root capabilities since you are talking
>> about changing permissions.
>>

> Thanks, that did the trick. :)
>
> Is there any way to avoid this every time:
>
> Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
>
> That hangs for 3-5 minutes.

It shouldn't any more.  See [ruby-talk:272784].

Each user gets their own source_cache file, so you end up doing it
twice, once for yourself and once root.  I think it would be ok to
copy root's source_cache, but that's not going to help much, since
its more likely to be out of date.

PS: What version is your RubyGems?