On 10/7/07, 7stud -- <dolgun / excite.com> wrote:
> I installed rubygems, and I got help output when I issued the command:
>
> $ gem help
>
> so I think ruby gems installed correctly.  But when I tried to install
> the Rake gem, this was the output:
>
> $ gem install -r rake
> Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
>     Could not find rake (> 0) in any repository
>
> $ gem install -r rake
> Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
>     Permission denied - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/rake-0.7.3.gem
>
> It looks like I'm supposed to change permissions on a directory.  Here
> are the permissions for cache:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  7 13:24 cache
>

> Do I just need to give directory cache write access, or should I change
> a permission on a higher directory as well?

Normally, unless you've custom installed gems to put things in your
own directory structure you run gem install as root.

In most modern systems this is best accomplished via

$sudo gem install rake

I assume that you do have root capabilities since you are talking
about changing permissions.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby