I installed rubygems, and I got help output when I issued the command:

$ gem help

so I think ruby gems installed correctly.  But when I tried to install
the Rake gem, this was the output:

$ gem install -r rake
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
    Could not find rake (> 0) in any repository

$ gem install -r rake
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
    Permission denied - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/rake-0.7.3.gem

It looks like I'm supposed to change permissions on a directory.  Here
are the permissions for cache:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  7 13:24 cache

Do I just need to give directory cache write access, or should I change
a permission on a higher directory as well?