On 12 Sep 2007, at 12:25, Ari Brown wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Phlip wrote:
>> I didn't read the whole thread but what is your actual problem?
>> Inventing network layer protocols in Ruby is not going to be
>> pretty...
>
> Heh, No, I don't want to invent a network protocol however awesome
> that would be. Reimplement all of my computer's current protocols
> in ruby? That would  be amazing.
>
> No, I'm just trying to replace Rubyforger (notice the extra r) and
> pcap with a truly native library.
>
> Well, thanks for the help everyone!

You might be interested in some of the code in my RailsConf Europe
presentation on DNS and network programming (http://slides.games-with-
brains.net/) although it's mostly focused on doing custom encrypted
network messaging there are some ideas in the UDP client/server
examples that might give you a good starting point. Incidentally if
you want to do reliable transmission with UDP take a look at the RUDP
protocol spec as that has lower overhead than TCP and is easily
implemented.

Ellie

Being and Doing are merely useful abstractions for the 'time'-
dependent asymmetries of phase space.