On 10/6/07, Sylvain Joyeux <sylvain.joyeux / polytechnique.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 06 October 2007, MenTaLguY wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 19:17 +0900, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> > > The bottom line being: if I was to *not* use inheritance for my
> > > purposes, I would have to reinvent the "inheritance wheel".
> > (The one sticking point I would occasionally hit was delegation, as
> See the top of my previous post: you're talking about duck typing, which
> does not apply in my case since I *need* to manipulate the models, and I
> need (for instance) to be able to check that an objet is kind_of? a
> particular class/module.

You could, of course, override #kind_of? to do what you want.

> > Would you be interested in working a simple example, to see if there are
> > other relationships besides "is-a" in your model?
> Sorry, I don't think I have the time/motivation for that. I don't mind
> discussion (and I don't mind being proved wrong if I learn something in
> the process), but I thought a lot about it and *yes* I'm using inheritance
> for 'is-a' relations. I'm finishing my PhD write now and I don't have a
> lot of time for that.

What Mentalguy's suggesting is that the relationships may not be best
modeled as an is-a relationship, as I suggested to Trans early on in
the discussion. Is-a relationships are very tightly coupled and should
only be used where such a tight relationship is warranted.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca