Jay Levitt wrote:
> Many, and I'd highly recommend the book.  But Ruby's a young language,
> and idioms go in and out of fashion, especially in the Rails community,
> which (for better or worse) makes up a large part of the newest Ruby
> population.

Cool, I'll get the book. I'm overseeing a Rails project, so I need to
have at least a working familiarity with both, though I'm more
interested in learning Ruby to a deeper level than Rails. (I've been
doing all my own work in another language & my own framework). However,
I'm also going to be doing a bunch of automated / CLI data aggregation
and misc utility work which I chose Ruby for -- mostly to force the
issue of familiarity.

David A. Black wrote:
> There wouldn't be much point in having it if it didn't :-)

Heh. True. :-)

> Hopefully you'll find it interesting and worthwhile.

I'm sure I will. My first code has been a simple web crawler. After
getting over a few little syntax humps, it's been fairly easy to
implement.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to more chats :-)

-- gw