On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Simon Kr=F6ger wrote:

>> A salesman wants to call on his customers, each of which is =20
>> located in a
>> different city.  He asks you to prepare an itinerary for him that =20
>> will minimize
>> his driving miles.  The itinerary must take him to each city =20
>> exactly once and
>> return him to his starting point. Can you write a Ruby program to =20
>> generate such
>> an itinerary?
>> [...]
>
> Sorry if i'm just stating the obvious - this quiz isn't about =20
> finding a
> solution (fast and correct) but to implement the genetic algorithm, =20=

> right?
>
> I'm just asking myself if i missed a (or maybe the) point...

The goal of this quiz was to come up with a good problem to =20
experiment with genetic algorithms on, yes.  Morton and I discussed =20
that quite a bit.

However, as you all know by now, I'm not a big restrictions kind of =20
guy.  So I suggested Morton lay out the problem and describe the way =20
we think would be fun to solve it.

That leaves the choice of strategy to the solver and we won't take =20
away your keyboard if you don't use a genetic algorithm.  ;)

James Edward Gray II

P.S.  Of course, if you've been waiting to play with genetic =20
algorithms, this is your chance!  I was itching for a good excuse to =20
try one, so that's how I built my solution.  This is a good problem =20
for the experiment, I think.