In article <mzxNi.27$wu6.11 / newsfe12.lga>,
John W. Kennedy <jwkenne / attglobal.net> wrote:
> blmblm / myrealbox.com wrote:
> > In article <1PUMi.21$WQ1.20 / newsfe12.lga>,
> > John W. Kennedy <jwkenne / attglobal.net> wrote:
> >> However, some implementations passed /and returned/ elementary arguments
> >> by value, as Ada does.
>
> > In FORTRAN/Fortran, don't they call that "copy-in/copy-out"?  Same
> > thing, just nitpicking a little about terminology, I hope correctly.
>
> Back in the day, IBM called it "by copy". I'm not acquainted with modern
> versions of the language.

Huh.  I'd have said I was remembering the terminology from back
when I was actively using the language, when it was still FORTRAN
and my then-current place of employment still regarded the F77
standard as a bit too new-fangled to be relied on.  But I'm sure
your memory's at least as good as mine, and I can't quite figure
out how to research which term might have been used when ....

--
B. L. Massingill
ObDisclaimer:  I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.