On Oct 4, 12:57 am, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn... / cesmail.net>
wrote:
> 3. I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but I'm getting really
> tired of learning new programming languages. I think Erlang is going to
> be the last one I devote any significant time to learning. Sure, it's
> fun to know Lisp/Scheme and Forth and Ruby (and R and Perl and C and
> Fortran and SQL ...) but it's also fun to get paid to program.

Erlang
======
good news: it can utilize multiple cores well
bad news: you'll need the multiple cores to get any decent performance
- d'oh!

Having a PragProg book should give Erlang a shot in the arm, but I
haven't seen enough to motivate me to learn it yet. Other functional
languages such as Haskell seem more interesting.

I can relate to the new language burnout; I wonder if I had learned
Lisp years ago if I could have just stuck with it instead of learning
a variety of languages that haven't seemed to surpass it yet. The
fundamental nature of Lisp is attractive, but the syntactic sugar of
Ruby sure makes it fun to code in. What an awesomely practical
language.