On Sep 27, 7:21 am, julik <list... / julik.nl> wrote:
> I would love to join the recently started confession fest.
>
> I've got a similar problem as Jay, but in a totally different domain.
> Having started as a script kiddo - what kind of book can introduce me
> in the beautiful but-oh-so-scary world of things like bit shifts,
> number representations, registers and that 0xF of them all, so that I
> can (not too urgently) start in C with at least some level of self-
> confidence and understanding?
>
> Is there some kind of book like "Everything you should know about the
> Von Neumann machine to get by unscathed without brain damage" or so?
> Except Donald Knuth because I also have a day job to fulfill :-)

Check this one:
 "The Definitive Guide to How Computers Do Math : Featuring the
Virtual DIY Calculator"
A beginner book that teaches you everything about bits, bytes ,low-
level IO, bit shifting and so on, using a Motorola emulator.
Here is the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-How-Computers-Math/dp/0471732788/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4362267-5661255?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191544138&sr=8-1
And here a direct download link:
http://www.pdfchm.com/book/the-definitive-guide-to-how-computers-do-math-featuring-the-virtual-diy-calculator-3891/