On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 03:48:49PM +0900, John Joyce wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 11:57 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> >
> >1. I have never owned a copy of any of the camelid books. Then
> >again, my Perl code reads like "awk" converted to Perl 4, which is
> >exactly what it is. :)
> Missing out, they're a fun read, even if you don't need to learn
> anything about Perl.

. . . especially the camel.  The other two are more useful for getting
you *to* the camel, if you're not ready for it to begin with.  They're
excellent didactic texts for their target skill levels, but not quite as
entertaining as the camel itself.

> >2. I tried to learn Ruby from AWDR and gave up. I got the Pickaxe a
> >week or so later. Too bad you can't learn *Rails* from an appendix
> >in the back of the Pickaxe. :)
> >
> Get that Rails book from Sitepoint, they're giving it away free as a
> pdf right now! It's gentle. Rails just takes a bit of doing to get it
> to start making sense. Lots of 'other people's' software is that way.
> Wait, my own software is that way...
> Seriously, though, the Sitepoint book cuts through clearly. AWDR
> makes sense later as a reference book.

The more I hear about the Sitepoint book, the more I think I should read
it.

John Kenneth Galbraith: "If all else fails, immortality can always be
assured through spectacular error."