I'm implementing a front end for irb that involves running it in a
background process.  I have it working such that I can collect input
from my program and write it to the redirected stdin of irb and then
read the output from redirected stdout, but it looks like when irb
detects that it isn't running in interactive mode it doesn't print a
prompt for some reason.

I've tried setting conf.verbose = true, but that doesn't work.  If I
don't redirect stdin, the prompt appears just fine.  How can I force irb
to display the prompt, even if stdin is redirected?

I'm using 1.8.5 on windows xp.