Chad Perrin wrote:
> I tend to just refer to "the camelid trilogy".  The llama, the alpaca,
> and the camel go together quite well, and should pretty much be bought as
> a set if you're going to do any serious Perl programming.
>
> The camel is really the Perl Bible, though.  The llama and the alpaca
> just get you to the point of being able to fully appreciate the camel.
> Of course, there are those who know programming so well from a number of
> other languages that only the camel is needed, but they're the same
> people who can learn Ruby more easily from the short primer in the back
> of AWDR and the online docs, without even having to pick up a copy of the
> pickaxe book.
>
> Interesting how my (written in Ruby) randomized signature script chose
> the JAPH signature for this email.

1. I have never owned a copy of any of the camelid books. Then again, my
Perl code reads like "awk" converted to Perl 4, which is exactly what it
is. :)

2. I tried to learn Ruby from AWDR and gave up. I got the Pickaxe a week
or so later. Too bad you can't learn *Rails* from an appendix in the
back of the Pickaxe. :)

3. I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but I'm getting really
tired of learning new programming languages. I think Erlang is going to
be the last one I devote any significant time to learning. Sure, it's
fun to know Lisp/Scheme and Forth and Ruby (and R and Perl and C and
Fortran and SQL ...) but it's also fun to get paid to program.