Hi,

From: Yukihiro Matsumoto

>     on 00/05/10, "Conrad Schneiker" <schneiker / jump.net> writes:
>
> |Matz writes:
> |
> |> I might plan to move to the States, if somebody pays me well
> |> (for developing Ruby ;-).
> |
> |If you were to receive one of the McArthur "Genius Award" grants (or
> |something comperable), which I think are on the order of something like
> |$100,000 a year for 5 years and which allow you to do whatever you want,
> |would that be sufficient?
>
> Yes.  The only problem is that I'm the last man to be a genius ;-)
> If I was a genius, Ruby is far more reliable and stable.

I think that's an implementation detail (tm), albeit a big one, mainly due
to having maybe 40 X to 100 X *less* help overall than has been the case
with Perl.

Insofar as genius goes, I think the McArthur Foundation construes genius
pretty broadly in terms of past achievements and future potential. In terms
of the particular blend of language features with respect to what might be
called the Perl-Python range of applications, there is nothing in the world
that compares with Ruby (except Ruby 3000 of course). To be able to outdo
all the other geniuses and near-geniuses in the world without appearing to
be one yourself is well-known to be one of the more subtle signs real genius
(tm). :-)

Conrad