On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 02:08:02PM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> John Joyce wrote:
> >>
> >Ah, come on, man, what about Larry Wall's camel?!
> >That's like the Hunter S. Thompson of programming books! Eternal classic.
>
> Yeah, except that Randal Schwartz' Perl book is much more sacred -- is
> that the Llama book??

I tend to just refer to "the camelid trilogy".  The llama, the alpaca,
and the camel go together quite well, and should pretty much be bought as
a set if you're going to do any serious Perl programming.

The camel is really the Perl Bible, though.  The llama and the alpaca
just get you to the point of being able to fully appreciate the camel.
Of course, there are those who know programming so well from a number of
other languages that only the camel is needed, but they're the same
people who can learn Ruby more easily from the short primer in the back
of AWDR and the online docs, without even having to pick up a copy of the
pickaxe book.

Interesting how my (written in Ruby) randomized signature script chose
the JAPH signature for this email.