Rick DeNatale wrote:
> I'm jumping in late here, and I've only skimmed most of the replies,
> so pardon me if I'm repeating anything already said:
>
> On 10/1/07, Marcin Raczkowski <mailing.mr / gmail.com> wrote:
>> Richard Conroy wrote:

>>> Why is this a good idea?
>> why not?
>> rails is easy to prototype but is painfully slow and hard to optimize, i
>>   know caching is going to play huge role but optimized complex sql
>> queries are also important
>
> On the other hand, there are lots of folks working on optimizing
> Rails, how many are working on optimizing your custom tailored
> framework.
>
> If you don't want to use Rails, then why not look at something which
> already has somewhat of a community like merb?

well, I'm still considering merb, in fact my custom framework borrowed
lot's from merb, but basic benchmarks on mostly used (by me at least)
features showed that my custom framework was 20 times faster then rails,
and 2-3 times faster then merb :]

i just wrote what i needed, not what i thought someone will need

> So even though the population of Rails savvy programmers might be
> smaller than the PHP community, there's a much higher probability that
> any of then could pick up and existing Rails app than a random PHP
> programmer could understand a random PHP application.
I had expirience with PHP "programmers" and let me just say they waren't
programmers, I remember one writing loop with use of two wariables, one
to count iterations and one to be set to true if iterations reach
certain level.

also due to fact that php is usually view centric, there is loots of
doubled code, no clear directory structure, sql queries inside views,
configuration scattered between 10-20 files, and some other juicy stuff :)

 > On the other hand, how many will understand your custom MVC framework?
anyone who knows how Ruby works and know MVC pattern?
I'm using Haml for views, Sequel or postgres for DB, directory layout is
really similar to rails, what's the problem ?

 > Of course if you're looking for job security AFTER you get the gig....
Currently, i have to put down job offers, I don't really need job
security, but i enjoy working with people i work with right now, and
fact that they let me do cool and new stuff, that's why i want to do it
for few more months :) instead of going back to PHP or C++ programming :]