On 10/2/07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 12:59:36AM +0900, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
> > Richard Conroy wrote:
> > >PHP beats Rails in certain aspects; for instance if development of the
> > >site is seasonal in nature, as opposed to continuous, the customer
> > >is likely to be hiring as they need. The large availability of PHP
> > >developers plays in its favour.
>
> PHP doesn't beat Rails at all, because "PHP" is not the same category of
> tool as Rail.  PHP may be Ruby in some respects, and Smarty may beat
> Rails in some respects, but saying PHP beats Rails is like saying wood as
> a boat-building material beats a given shipyard (which happens to make
> all its ships out of steel).

Read my response again - the high availability of PHP developers suits
certain classes of customer whose web development is not continuous.
This will change of course (probably in the next year). For this purpose,
Rails and PHP are equivalent - tools for building dynamics web sites.

> Java isn't what I'd call a "systems language".

A lot of people are. Especially on a web environment - its the language
that can do the heavy lifting (long-lived, CPU bound processes) on the
server.

> > any examples? i know google is starting to use Ruby.
>
> News to me.  Last I checked, Steve Yegge actually ported Rails to Rhino
> (JavaScript) because he wanted to use Rails but Google wouldn't adopt
> Ruby (they have a strict policy about what languages their developers are
> allowed to use at Google, as far as I'm aware).

Yeah, thats the post I read too. Certainly the google idea factory contains
a lot of people who know languages outside of the google language policy;
but AFAIK, production code still has to be written in the big 4.

Amazon however are using increasing amounts of Ruby and dynamic languages
in production code. However Amazon is in a rather unique situation wrt to
code maintenance (Steve Yegge blogged on that one too, a while back).