I'm working on a game that's in the early stages, and I want to make
sure it runs on both OS X and Windows before I continue development.  OS
X is my primary OS, and it runs fine on that.  But it crashes in
Windows.

The setup is this:  the core of the game is written in Objective C, and
I'm using Ruby for the scripting of the game.  I wrote a very small Ruby
extension to act as a bridge between the two (basically a wrapper around
the Objective C game objects).  Everything was fine, in OS X.  In order
to get it to compile in Windows, I had to write a separate extension to
act as a wrapper around the Objective C /classes/ and do a hairy little
dance to register them, because I don't of a compiler flag in the
standard gcc that's an equivalent of Apple's -undefined suppress, and I
don't want to link against all the main project files in the extension.

And so, my current problem:  it still runs fine in OS X, but it chokes
when I try to create the Objective C object from within the Ruby
extension.  I create the Ruby class-wrapper object, register the
Objective C class, test it thoroughly to make sure that it's behaving as
expected -- it's all fine when I do it from the main program.  I even
tried printing the pointer to the Obj-C class to make sure it's not
getting mangled, and it doesn't seem to change at all.  But all I get is
garbage when I try to instantiate the class.

I realize that my problem might likely turn out to have nothing to do
with Ruby itself.  In truth, the Ruby part seems to be behaving as
expected.  I pose the question here because I think I'm likely to find
more Ruby people with experience in Objective C than  Objective C people
with experience in Ruby.  And likewise for Windows.

I'm using Ruby 1.8.6 on both machines.  My Mac is running OS 10.4.10,
and the Windows machine I'm using for development is ...  Windows XP
Home.  I'll put the source up at
http://greay.phpwebhosting.com/shooter/shooter.r67.zip for people to
look at, as well.
-- 
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.