>Hello,
>
>On 9/28/07, Stephen Bannasch <stephen.bannasch / deanbrook.org> wrote:
>> I want to start a Java program from a Ruby program and have the Java
>> program run in another process and have control returned to my Ruby
>> program as soon as the Java process starts up successfully.
>>
>> When I try this from a Ruby program the program blocks until the Java
>> program is terminated.
>
>There may be another way, but the first thing that came to mind for me
>was just to launch it in another thread:
>
>Thread.new { `java -cp <classpath> <main_class>` }

* Thanks Cameron,

That worked, I hadn't used threads before and they were what I needed.

* Thanks Sebastion,

I thought I had tried this:

  system("some_command&")

and it didn't work -- but it was late and I needed to sleep -- today that works fine -- so obviously I wasn't thinking as clearly as I could have been.

* Thanks 7stud,

IO.popen is interesting, I'm playing with your simple test programs and reading chapter 11 in the Pickaxe book.