On Sep 29, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Brian Adkins wrote:

> On Sep 27, 1:21 am, julik <list... / julik.nl> wrote:
>> so that I
>> can (not too urgently) start in C with at least some level of self-
>> confidence and understanding?
>
> What's wrong with this group? No one has mentioned K&R ???

Somebody did, but the one criticism we can always leverage against
K&R is that it is not a beginner's introduction to C. Before going
into data structures or algorithms in K&R, it is important to first
get a grasp of the C language.
Unfortunately, not all of the stuff in K&R is applicable to Ruby. You
can try to write C or C++ style in Ruby but it always shows.
Sometimes it might be appropriate (a begin-end-while in Ruby when you
would have a do-while in C/C++) but Ruby has its own devices that
generally make more sense in Ruby code.