> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky [mailto:znmeb / cesmail.net] wrote:
>
> A year or so ago -- Curt, Austin, correct me if I'm wrong here -- Curt
> Hibbs and Austin Ziegler tried to get a sensible behavior from
> Microsoft
> so a "One-Click Installer" Ruby user could build gems containing C
> source using the no-cost-but-non-free Microsoft C compilers, along with
> building Ruby itself that way. It never happened, and I wonder if
> IronRuby is the reason. Perhaps Microsoft doesn't see the need for the
> regular open source MRI interpreter now that there's IronRuby on the
> CLR. No matter how "willing" Microsoft is to do things, there are
> always
> going to be things they don't do

I originally brokered the meeting between Austin and the C++ folks. Since I joined the company I've had no communication at all with those guys. Personally, I'm amazed that folks believe that MSFT is actually organized enough to concoct conspiracies like this :)

BTW, Austin/Curt what has happened with this? I'm under the impression that MRI compiles just fine using whatever version of C++ is in VS 2005?

-John