ara.t.howard wrote:

> NAME
>
>   dike
>
> SYNOPSIS
>
>   a simple memory leak detector for ruby with preconfigured rails hooks.

That looks very useful. I'm not sure "leak" is the term I would use,
since the objects are reachable. Unused reachable objects can be just as
much of a problem as unreachable objects, of course.

If you have Strings created in two places, are they reported separately
in the output? I assume so, but I couldn't tell from your examples. If
you're looking for trouble spots, it would be useful to know not just
that there were N strings floating around, but that N1 of them were
created on line L1, N2 on line L2, and so on.

Does this have much of a cost on performance? (It doesn't use
trace_func, does it?) I'd like to have something like this enabled by
default for long-running deployed processes, not just in debugging.