On Sep 28, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Bill Plummer wrote:
> Interesting subject...  I've been a .Net developer since the beta days
> and really like both VB.Net and C#.  However, all that said you can
> understand when I heard about IronRuby it tweaked my interest.  An
> interpreted language implementation running in .Net.  And the
> language,
> Ruby was and is getting high marks from most of the developers I've
> listened to.
>
> So, for the last couple of months I've been learning all the Ruby and
> IronRuby that I can work into my schedule.  To me Ruby appears to be a
> language I could enjoy working with, but that's not my main reason I'm
> studying the subject.
>
> My job allows me to chose the tools I need to get most projects done.
> However, with that freedom comes the responsibility of being able
> to not
> only complete the project, but also maintain the code and add new
> features in the future.  This can be difficult and the concise
> syntax is
> used in Ruby really appeals to me!
>
> So...  I like what I see in Ruby for the following reasons.
>
> 1 - Microsoft is doing a Ruby language implementation call IronRuby.
>
> 2 - Matz's Ruby is here today, and can do applications on both Windows
> and Linux operating systems.  (Our clients may specify the operating
> system.)
>
> 3 - The Rails framework exists for web projects.
>
> 4 - Ruby is well documented.  The Ruby publications are EXCELLENT.  I
> own "Ruby for Rails" by David A. Black, "Programming Ruby" (The Pick
> Axe), 2nd edition, "Rails Recipes" by Chad Fowler, and "Agile Web
> Development with Rails" by Dave Thomas and DHH.
>
> 5 - The web stuff including video and pod-casts like...
> http://railscasts.com/, http://peepcode.com/
>
> 7 - The Ruby In Steel Visual Studio plug-in for Ruby and Rails
> projects.
> http://www.sapphiresteel.com/
> (Did I mention that I love Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE???  Your a
> pretty cool guy Mac, but I still prefer Visual Studio... :-)
>
> 6 - It's fun to learn a new language:-)
>
> OK enough said...  I like Ruby and I especially appreciate all that
> the
> community has done to help bring us newbies along:-)
>
> Bill Plummer
>
> PS: One tiny comment about "taking a friend and turning them into a
> Borg" by implementing the language through the CLR.  If Jon Lam
> does his
> job right, we won't know whether we are using Matz's Ruby or
> Microsoft's
> IronRuby.  Wait a minute, I'm in Visual Studio..., now is this Matz's
> Ruby using the Ruby In Steel plug-in or is it Microsoft's IronRuby
> running in the DLR???  It's so confusing... What's a developer to
> do...
> So many choices!!! :-)

But many of us are curious about developments at MS. We all know how
well they follow standards. Standard C++ compiles so well with Visual
Studio!

But seriously, Ruby books are usually exceptionally good. Made even
more so when compared to any book published by MS!
Bill, you might have missed your calling. You really write like a
marketing person, very good marketing copy! If Microsoft is still
paying bloggers, you might want to see if they'll hook you up. What
could be better than getting paid for posting what you like?