John Joyce wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 1:21 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> julik wrote:
>>> I would love to join the recently started confession fest.
>>>
>>> I've got a similar problem as Jay, but in a totally different domain.
>>> Having started as a script kiddo - what kind of book can introduce me in
>>> the beautiful but-oh-so-scary world of things like bit shifts, number
>>> representations, registers and that 0xF of them all, so that I can (not
>>> too urgently) start in C with at least some level of self-confidence and
>>> understanding?
>>>
>>> Is there some kind of book like "Everything you should know about the
>>> Von Neumann machine to get by unscathed without brain damage" or so?
>>> Except Donald Knuth because I also have a day job to fulfill :-)
>>>

>> Straight from the horse's mouth:
>>
>> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~adyilie/comp265/vonNeumann.html
>>
>> :) :) :)
>>
>> And no, I never met Von Neumann but I *did* write software for an
>> original Von Neumann machine -- ILLIAC I :).
>>
> WOW, that's some classically fluffed up academic writing...

You *did* see the date, right? Von Neumann died in 1957. That paper, as
well known as it is, was pretty tough to track down in HTML. Remember,
he was a theoretical and applied mathematician for decades before he
turned to "computer engineering". If you think it's "classically fluffed
up academic writing," you ought to see some of his papers on Hilbert
spaces. :)

There was actually a second paper on programming the machine, which is
even harder to find. I have a printed copy somewhere, but I haven't
found it on line yet.