On 9/22/07, David A. Black <dblack / rubypal.com> wrote:

> People in many places have disagreed with me, and I with them. Feel
> free :-)
>
> At least $$this would point the confusion away from instance
> variables, which are much more important and more deserving of not
> being made confusing than globals. Not that I think confusion is good
> in any direction. What I'd like most is for class variables to
> disappear from Ruby, but I don't think that's going to happen.
>

> David

The last sentence I agree with, because, while I was reading the
pickaxe -- well, with my lack of CS experience -- one of the biggest
questions in my mind was "why do we need class variables?".  Kind of a
gut feeling thing, and not a logistical idea.  Perhaps I need to read
more code to truly wrap my head around it.  I wish I spoke Nihongo :-)

Todd